7.21.2016

Repair

I made this pink afghan years ago. It's my original design and was published in a magazine in the 80's. This was before self publishing and internet patterns...when we had to use our land line phones ("leash phones") to communicate.  We wrote letters and sent cards through the mail. We got excited at the mailbox hoping for a magazine, because we subscribed to several. We got all of our patterns from magazines and books. GG was proud of me for this one.

In the 90's the corner of the afghan was caught in the sweeper. (I'm from Ohio and that's what we call it. Vacuum, Hoover, Dyson...you know that thing we clean up the carpet with). The entire corner was destroyed. I have had it in a bag, and moved it countless times thinking that I could not get it out looking like that, and yet could not get rid of it because it was in a magazine.


I don't know what my issue was with repairing the afghan. I have repaired other afghans for other people. They were all grateful and amazed, thinking theirs could not be fixed. GG repaired afghans for many people in her town. She taught me well. I never thought this afghan could NOT be repaired, I just never did it.

I have made this pattern, this afghan several times as wedding gifts. I like the complicated stitch work and it is meditative, keeping my attention. Each time I made a new version, I thought of the lonely pinky waiting for my attention.

Since moving here, I put it in my "to fix" pile. (why is this pile so large???) Last week I looked at it for the last time. Why didn't I just fix it and get it over with?(the voice I heard was GG's telling me to get to it)


The first part was difficult. I unraveled the corner only, cutting away at each row.  The fibers had fused together at points but I was able to get a clean edge.


Then I found the only pink that would do, and filled in where the original fiber would not reach the end of the row.





I had to slip stitch to each row but because I used up all available original yarn, I think it looks ok.


Yes, I can tell it has been repaired, but now I will use it and most of my guests won't notice....except for the knitters and crocheters.


One less thing in the "fix it" pile!!




1 comment: